The GoldenSword International Fellowship Deacon’s Ministry under the able leadership of Bishop Derek G. Owens are serving in Spirit of excellence, and striving to meet the ever growing needs of the church and its attendant ministries. Acts 6:3 (KJV) Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.
To serve and support the Bishop, Pastors, Leadership and Congregation
Over 2000 years ago, the Holy Spirit spoke a word to His Holy Apostles and told them how to order, organize, and ordain the Early Church. The Word that the Holy Spirit spoke in the 3rd Chapter of the Book of Acts was the word – Deacon. For indeed one of the offices that was instituted by the Holy Spirit and revered within the Early church was the Office of the Deacon. The ordained Deacon serves in communion service, baptismal service, weddings, funerals and ordination services. Further the Men of God serve in sensitive areas within the church. Marriage is a requirement.
- An honest report – Well attested; well reported of; bearing a good witness; having a good reputation. The deacon’s character was to be proven and beyond reproach. They were to be men of integrity, faithful and trustworthy; moral and upright, men trusted by all.
- Full of the Holy Spirit – The Deacon must be filled with the Holy Spirit and walk according to the fruits of the Spirit.
- Full of wisdom – Able to discern, see through, make judgments. This is especially needed now in handling the division that can arisen in the church. Improper handling by unwise men could only add fuel to the fire, causing further friction and tension.
Deacons in Training
Deacons in training are candidates who are trained and tested to fulfill the functions of a Deacon within the church. Marriage is a requirement. 1 Timothy 1:8-13.
- Deacons’ and wives breakfast
- Deacons’ Retreat
- Deacons’ Quarterly meeting
- Deacons’ prayer meeting every 3rd Thursday